In December of 2016, the edX team released HarvardX and MITx: Four Years of Open Online Courses. Some of the important statistics that stood out to me in this report are:
- There are about 2.4 million participants from all over the world, out of which 60% of the participants are from the outside of United States of America.
- Only 33% of the participants were female. The percentage of female participation was as high as 47% in fields like humanities, religion, design and education while it was a low of 16-17% in fields like STEM and computer science.
- About 45% of the participants belong to 20-30 years age group.
- 73% of participants have a bachelor’s degree.
- The median certification rate is as low as 7.7% across the 263 courses offered.